Tuesday, August 10, 2010

My poem entitled: The Purse

This poem is loosely based on a true life experience.  Comment and enjoy!


The Purse
                                                                               
As I sit in silence and wait for the nurse
My legs stick together like two wet stamps
Tears fall down my eyes to make me feel worse
Why couldn’t I just carry a purse?

My mother used to carry a big brown one
It was filled with candy and gum and money
She could always make an awkward moment feel fun
Where is a girl’s mom when she needs one?

Everyone says that I’m a child already grown
But I still like Barney and Sesame Street
It’s not like I’m ready to live away from home
Though my body is making changes of its own

Couldn’t somebody, anybody warned me of this?
Of this red river streaming steadily down my thigh
Why isn’t my mom here to explain this?
Why must a girl even go through this?

The nurse finally arrives with my dad
Whose face appears to smile or laugh, I can’t tell
The nurse assures me that I shouldn’t feel bad
She wipes my tears and gives me this pink pad

I’m not even sure if I should feel hurt
After all growing up is just a part of life
My innocence this cloud called puberty did curse
Why couldn’t I just carry a purse? 

No comments:

Post a Comment